Backdrop 1.x includes a full upgrade path from Drupal 7
Backdrop CMS acts as though it were the next version of Drupal for the purposes of upgrading, making it so that you can upgrade to Backdrop CMS directly from a Drupal 7 database.
Benefits of Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS
Upgrading your site from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS should result in several instantaneous improvements to your site:
- Lots of new features like content scheduling, and automatic comment closing.
- Pages load faster thanks to a simpler render pipeline and improved caching.
- Improved security throughout, including password improvements.
- Easier editorial experience with clearer interfaces and simpler terminology.
- Faster administrator experience with fewer clicks to achieve the same goal.
- Easier routine maintenance with push-button self-updates.
For complete upgrade instructions, please see the documentation on Upgrading from Drupal 7 on the API site.
Upgrading from Drupal 6
We recommend using Drupal's built-in upgrade path to go from from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 (which could be tricky), and then Backdrop's Built-in path to go from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS (which should be easy). Currently, there are no tools available to upgrade a Drupal 6 site directly to Backdrop.
Crossgrading from Drupal 8
We recommend using the same tools that would be used to go from Drupal 8 to Drupal 7 for Backdrop CMS: Migrate module, custom scripts, etc.